Saturday, September 20, 2014

Back to Back Races

Well, let me say this first... What an awesome weekend it was. Glad to have shared the pavement with my fellow Okinawa Pavement Pounders (OPP) friends. Anyways, it was my first time doing this and I made it through. haha!


Beat The Heat Half Marathon
Saturday Sept. 21, 2014



Most of the time when runners know the course prior to the actual race event. They would tend to do a pre run, just to get use to the course. Well none of us did, we procrastinated but never did. Haha! This was a pretty tough race and as well as my first race in Okinawa, Japan. Oh how the heat caught up towards the end of the race. Haha! This time I was smart to hydrate before race day but did not carb load. 


During the race, I was pushing it. With the right music, I was able to motivate myself to keep going and catching up to my friends. Yes, I did know there was hills but after learning from my first half marathon I did. I ended up killing the hills by running up it. When I did, it felt awesome. 




Along the way, OPP was able to motivate and help push each other pass the finish line. At the same time, cheering each other at the finish line. I have never felt any better, belonging in a group. Not like the other few races I've done during the beginning of the year. Where I would cross the finish line and having the awkward lost feeling. Haha! 


Magic 10 Miler
Sunday Sept 21, 2014


Ok, I know it seems crazy but lets just say I wasn't the only one to take up the, "back to back," challenge. haha! After filling up my body with Pedialyte, I was still sore from the race from the day before. It was because I was pushing it. Anyways, the sucky part about this race was that it started at 0800 in the morning and the sun was already up. The good thing about it was that there was a breeze and some what cloud cover. 


Despite the soreness of my quads, I was still able to push towards the end. I mean running on the flight line (landing strip) that seem to have taken forever. haha! I was able to push my last mile back. Once I crossed the finish line, I was already out of breath and my quads where just pounding. haha! Anyways, after that though, I was glad my races were over. 

 (It was nice to see another Marine I work with)


 One of Two OPP runners that was down to run back to back cause we influenced each other to.


Just like any other run or race we do as OPP. The best thing I love about us, is the group photos at the turn around or end of a race or run. It's something to look forward to and which also motivates me to hurry up and finish to make it on time. haha! 


 The Back to Back runners!

It was a great weekend and it was fun. As much as I tell myself that I don't think I would ever do this again but if our group decided to do it. I am down to do with them as well. I am very proud of them and as well as proud of myself. 

 

A weekend worth everything!