Saturday, February 15, 2014

The beginning of an addiction

Heart of the Ozarks




On February 15, 2014, I participated my first Half Marathon race/event in West Plains, Missouri. Well the weather report said it was suppose to be a high of 40 degrees. Wrong, it was about 18-20 degrees and thankfully I was prepared for the chill. So, I paced myself waiting for the race to begin, thinking how I am going to attack this route, what pace I should run it at and my breathing. 

Well they finally announced that the race was about to begin, I prepped my Nike GPS watch and my playlist. As the start gun went off, we were all on our way. First we were bunched up, then started to walk and as the runners ahead started to get some distance. I was off! Darting through the other runners, feeling great as my motivating music pushed me. Yet, something came up and surprised me... It was a hill! *haha* I was like WTF! I thought these courses were suppose to be flat for some reason but you know what, it never slowed me down. 


Well the course was great until the last vertical hill, where I ended up slightly slowed me down. It was pretty crazy. Anyways, there was a lot of motivators along the course to cheer anyone on. Which helped the deprived moral portion of my brain. haha! After half way through the route, the cold never bothered me and I could feel my toes again. So I just kept smiling and enjoyed the run. Regardless, if I didn't place at all. 

So like I said, this is a beginning of an addiction. Chasing those medals but hey, I was going to be in Missouri for 3 months so why not. 

Results
Placed 56 of 126 Half Marathon Runners
Finish Time: 1:57:11
Pace: 8:57