Saturday, November 30, 2013

Tulong Na, Tabang Na, Tayo Na!

Tulong Na, Tabang Na, Tayo Na!



After the huge typhoon that struck the Philippines in November 2013, my unit was preparing our gear to help support the aftermath. After 2 days of long nights of getting the equipment set up and preparing our packs. We were told that we were not going anymore. With that, I was disappointed that I couldn't go to support the mother land. 

On November 30th at around 0300, I was just clicking through a local website for things on sale. When I stumbled upon an add about helping support a fundraiser to help the victims of Typhoon Haiyan. It was an 8k run/walk fundraiser at the same place I usually go running in the morning. Well I decided to attend and received a shirt that I have always wanted to show that I have supported in a way. 


I was happy knowing I can join a cause and was able to help support my fellow Filipino's. Also, it was great being around them during this fundraiser, felt like I was back home in Alaska during a Filipino-American Community. After the race, I stayed behind and sat down. Just to relax and enjoy the environment, also knowing that I was apart of a group supporting a cause.